If you’re a homeowner and you haven’t thought about whether or not your home is adequately protected against security threats, you could be doing your home and family a disservice. Here at XYZ Security, we want to help ensure that homeowners have the protection they need for their home when it comes to security. If you haven’t thought about the benefits of a surveillance camera installation for your Los Angeles home, you can read our previous post to learn more. Today, we’d like to focus on security facts that you should know when it comes to the safety and protection of your home.
Home Security Facts
Crime Statistics For Home Properties
- There are almost three million home intrusions in the U.S. every year that are reported.
- Burglars target both the properties of homeowners and renters.
- Seventy percent of all burglaries reported take place on residential properties.
- The majority of burglaries occur between 10 am and 3 pm to ensure the homeowner is out of the house.
- Although, 60 percent of burglaries that are reported occurred when someone was home.
- Burglars gain entrance into homes primarily through the front door, first floor windows, and back door.
- Thirteen percent of burglaries that are reported to police aren’t solved, often due to lack of evidence and no witnesses.
- Fifteen percent of stolen possessions are recovered.
- Sixty-one percent of burglars get into homes by forced entry.
- Burglaries are more likely to take place during the summer months due to unlocked doors and windows, as well as the fact that more homeowners are gone on vacation.
- Home burglaries are often committed by a burglar who lives nearby.
- The time it takes most burglars to complete their task is around 10 minutes.
- The average amount of possessions taken during a burglary total around $2,000.
- If your home does not have a security system of some sort, it is 300 percent more likely to be targeted for a burglary.
- Eighty-five percent of police who have been asked believe that a home security system can help to deter burglaries.
Home Security Prevention
If you’d like to protect your home against security threats, a great place to start is to have a surveillance camera installed on your home’s property. You can also put the following security prevention tips into practice.
- Vary your routine as much as possible so burglars can’t plan their break-in around a known schedule. Also, be sure to have someone come to your home when you’re out of town in order to deter break-ins.
- If you don’t already have a neighborhood watch group in your area, you can begin one.
- Keep doors and windows locked at all times, even when you’re home, if you’re not going to be in the room of the unlocked entrance.
- Don’t give your house key to someone you don’t absolutely trust. If a house key is lost, replace all of your locks. Also, don’t hide a key outside in an unlocked location.
- For particularly valuable possessions, invest in a safe to keep in your home.
- Always ensure that entrances to your home are well lit.
- If your home’s doors don’t have interior door hinges, remove the doors to change the hinges so that they are on the inside of your home.
- If your doors don’t already have deadbolts, install them on all of your doors that lead to the outside.
- If you’ve recently moved into a home, change all of the locks.
The more you know about home security, the better off you’ll be. Also, the more steps you take to ensure your home’s security, the more secure your home and family will be. To schedule a home surveillance camera installation for your Los Angeles home, call us here at XYZ Security.